200g ikan bilis (soaked 15 minutes, washed and drained)
2 red onions (peeled and diced)
1 whole garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
1 red onion (finely chopped)
1T belacan (shrimp paste)
60g Korean chilli powder
3T hot chilli sauce
1C tamarind juice (50g tamarind paste +1C water, mix well and sieve)
- Do not cut the red onions too thin or too small. You want the bite when cooked. You can use the yellow big onions too if you prefer.
- These dried ikan bilis are already cleaned up and split into halves. It makes cooking much easier.
- Fry until fragrant. Keep stirring to make sure it doesn’t get burnt. You can use a processor to mice it. The best is actually to grind it which will give it a better flavor. But I was lazy and want it quick. Still good though
- Add the chopped onions and ikan bilis of Ingredients A. Keep stirring for sometime, maybe at least 5 minutes.
- Add Ingredients C to the ikan bilis mixture above. Keep stirring to mix well and heat through. Add more water if it’s too dry.
Recipe Coutesy of Mary Moh & Keep Learning Keep Smiling